Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) reminds customers having difficulty paying their utility bills that they may be eligible for special financial assistance or energy efficiency programs that could reduce the amount of electricity they use.
Assistance programs available to New Jersey residents include:
- Lifeline; Offers a cash grant to help people who meet the Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) eligibility requirements, or who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI). For additional information call 1-800-792-9745.
- Universal Service Fund (USF; Helps residential customers maintain electric service by offering eligible customers a monthly bill credit, which is based on household income and energy usage. USF also could include utility account debt forgiveness. Those applying for USF also automatically apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). For more information, call 1-800-510-3102.
- Weatherization; The installation of home energy measures can help reduce energy bills. Weatherization programs include Comfort Partners, sponsored by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. For additional information visit www.njcleanenergy.com and click on “Residential” or call 1-800-915-8309. Households that apply for USF or LIHEAP can also check a box on the application to request weatherization assistance. Additional information is available at www.energyassistance.nj.gov.
- PAGE; An assistance program designed to help low-to moderate-income households who experience economic hardship and struggle to pay their electric and natural gas bills. For more information visit www.NJPowerOn.org or call 1-732-982-8710.
- New Jersey SHARES; This program offers temporary financial assistance to people having difficulty paying their electric bills. The fund helps those who need assistance because of an illness, job loss or other problem that has created a financial crisis, but are not eligible for other income or age-based programs. For additional information call 1-866-657-4273 or visit http://www.njshares.org.
JCP&L residential customers looking for a convenient way to manage their electric bills can also sign up for the FirstEnergy Equal Payment Plan (EPP). With EPP, customers make consistent monthly payments to avoid seasonal highs and lows in their electric bills. To apply or learn more about other JCP&L programs, please visit www.firstenergycorp.com or call 1-800-662-3115.
JCP&L is a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE). JCP&L serves 1.1 million customers in the counties of Burlington, Essex, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren. Follow JCP&L on Twitter @JCP_L, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JCPandL, or online at www.jcp-l.com