Vital Statistics / Registrar
Responsible for registering all births, marriages, civil unions, domestic partnerships and deaths in the City of South Amboy and for providing the following services:
- Certified copies of birth and death certificates
- Applications for marriages and civil unions
- Filing of domestic partnerships
- Marriage, civil union and domestic partnership licenses
- Modifications of all vital records
Fees for certified copies of vital record certificates
Fees for certified copies are as follows:
- First copy $25
- Additional copies of the same record ordered on the same day are $2 each
Ways to obtain certified copies vital record certificates
- In Person: At City Hall - 140 N Broadway South Amboy, NJ 08879. Acceptable methods of payment are cash, money order, certified check. Identity must be established through a valid driver’s license, valid passport or valid State or Federal ID
- By Mail: Mail payment to City of South Amboy – Attn: Registrar’s Office - 140 N Broadway, South Amboy, NJ 08879. Acceptable methods of payment are money order or certified checks payable to the City of South Amboy.
- Security Box Drop Off: Drop off at City Hall Entrance security box available 24 hours day. Acceptable methods of payment are money order or certified checks payable to the City of South Amboy.
Eligible individuals who can obtain certified copies of vital records:
The individual of legal age, the parents of, a brother or sister of legal age (with proof of their relationship, i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents’ names), the spouse/partner (with proof of civil union, domestic partnership or marriage certificate), the child of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents’ names), the grandchild of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copies of birth certificate showing parents and grandparents names), the legal guardian/representative (with proper court documents within a 2 year period)
Required Identification to obtain certified copies of vital records
Valid photo driver’s license or photo non-driver’s license with CURRENT address and signature. If a valid photo driver’s license is not available, two of the following are necessary:
- A non-photo driver’s license
- alternate form of ID with current address
OR two (2) alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address. Alternate forms of ID are: US/foreign passport, permanent resident card (green card), Immigrant Visa, vehicle registration, vehicle insurance card, utility bill (within the previous 90 days), bank statement (within the previous 90 days), or W-2/tax return for current or previous year.
Records request form to obtain certified copies of vital records
Records Request - Application for Certified Copy of a Vital Record or a Non-Genealogical Certification (Download by clicking the link here or in the top right section under Forms.)
When filling out a records request form, the information provided must be exact and complete as it appears on the original record. Please provide a phone number where you can be reached should a question arise.
Additional information regarding vital records and forms can be obtained on the NJ Department of Health website.
Application for civil union / marriage license
To obtain a civil union / marriage license you must make an appointment and apply in person. Call 732-525-5925 to schedule an appointment. The following applicant/witnesses, information is needed:
- Application can be made where either party resides - proof of residency required
- Both parties may be present; if applying separately, the same witness must be present
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Provide social security numbers (which will be kept confidential)
- Witness must be18 years of age or older
The application fee is $28.
Suggested additional items are suggested or may apply:
- Birth certificate
- If you were in a former union, and it was legally dissolved, final decrees
- If by death, certified copy of death certificate
You may also complete the applications on the State of New Jersey’s website. You must follow the instructions on this site.
There is a three-day waiting period before the license can be issued. If a time waiver is necessary, it must be granted by a Superior Court Judge.
Application for domestic partnership
In order to qualify for a domestic partnership:
- Each partner must sign in front of a notary an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Affidavits are available from any local registrar’s office)
- Partners must 62 years of age and of opposite sex
- Share a common residence or member of NJ State Retirement System
- Jointly responsible for each other’s common welfare
- Not in any other commitment recognized by NJ Law
- Notarized Affidavit must be taken to any local registrar’s office to be filed and purchase a certificate of Domestic Partnership
The application fee is $28.