The utility billing department, has many duties, which include but are not limited to:
- Processing Meter Readings as supplied by the Middlesex Water Company
- Generating Utility Billings
- Enforcing Collections of Bills by Tax Sale
- Maintaining Customer Files for all Accounts in the City of South Amboy
FORMS & INFORMATION: (insert)
Every 3 months the Middlesex Water Company, sends a reader, to obtain readings in town that is due to be billed.
At the end of the reading month, the Utility Office, reviews the meter readings, updates and calculates the bills for the accounts; prints and mails the bills on or before the 10th of the month following the meter reading. The Bill then becomes due the first of the following month:
|MONTHS READ||Middlesex Water Billed||City of South Amboy Sewer Bill||Due|
|December, January, February||March||April||May|
|March, April, May||June||July||August|
|June, July, August||September||October||November|
|September, October, November||December||January||February|
Example, Middlesex will read meters in February, Water billing will be processed in March, and Sewer bill will be processed in April.
PAYING YOUR SEWER BILL
Payments can be made:
- In person by check, cash or money order during office hours – Monday to Friday 9-4pm.;
- Dropped off 24/7 in our payment box located inside the City Hall entrance;
- Via mail by check or money order. If you are mailing your payments, please note that payments are processed based on the date we receive it and not the postmark date on the envelope, so please make sure you allow enough mailing time. If you would like a receipt, please send the entire sewer bill with your check/money order and include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Your bill will be receipted and mailed back to you. If you do not desire a receipt, then mail the sewer stub and check/money order.
Online at www.southamboynj.gov credit card or ACH payment. To ensure that your online payment is applied to your account timely verify your Block, Lot & Qual, account number and service address are correct before submitting payment.
Payments made by check and money orders must be payable to the City of South Amboy.
Interest will be charged at a rate of 18%.
Any balance owing as of November 11, with be certified for collection at the annual tax sale.
When utilities (sewer) become delinquent, statutory guidelines are followed to enforce collections of the amounts as follows:
- The first (1st) notice of delinquency is a “delinquent letter”, sent after the due date, to remind the homeowner of a balance due. These letters are generated once a month until the account is no longer in arrears.
- All sewer charges outstanding as of the 11th day of the 11th Month of the current fiscal year, provided the tax sale is held during the last month of the fiscal year, will be subject to our tax sale. This includes any account that has a balance great than 10.00. Refer to the “Online Tax Sale” and “Tax Sale” information under Tax Collector department at the bottom of the page.
The following procedures only apply to properties with multiple rental units and multiple meters with delinquent sewer accounts.
- ONCE THE TAX SALE LIST IS CREATED ON NOVEMBER 11, 2014 THE CITY WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS FROM TENNENTS, IN DWELLINGS HAVING MORE THAN ONE METER FOR SEWER ACCOUNTS AT THE PROPERTY.
- ALL TAX SALE NOTICES SENT WILL HAVE A TOTAL AMOUNT DUE FOR THE PROPERTY NOT BY INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS.
- PAYMENTS MUST BE SENT TO THE TAX COLLECTOR TO BE REMOVED FROM THE TAX SALE WITH THE TOTAL AMOUNT DUE FOR THE PROPERTY. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
- PAYMENTS MUST BE CASH, CERTIFIED CHECK OR MONEY ORDER AFTER NOVEMBER 11.
IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILTY OF THE CITY TO MONITOR YOUR TENNENTS. ONLY DURING THE PERIOD OF NOVEMBER 11 to DECEMBER 31 WILL THE LANDLORD BE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH THESE PAYMENT PROCEDURES.
HOW TO FINAL A SEWER ACCOUNT
- All sewers bills are based on water consumption based on readings provided to the City by Middlesex Water Company. The Office of the Collector is responsible for the billing and collection of sewer utility charges. These charges are billed quarterly for each 90-day period as follows:
1st Quarter period September to November January bill due February 2nd Quarter period December to February April bill due May 3rd Quarter period March to May July bill due August 4th Quarter period June to August Oct bill due Nov
- All utility charges which remain unpaid by November 11, are subject to the same tax sale law as property taxes.
- If a final bill is required for a closing (due to the sale of property) the water must first be finaled with Middlesex Water (732-634-1500). The City requires a copy of the original finaled water bill to be faxed or emailed to our office with the name, fax or e-mail of the attorney or title company responsible for payment. The final sewer bill will be calculated and returned to the attorney or title company as instructed.
- If you fail to obtain a final water bill before the closing, the owner of record will be responsible for the entire amount of the quarterly sewer bill and will need to contact their attorney or title company for resolution.
- Tax Collector requires 5 business days to process a final sewer once all requested information is provided.
Middlesex Water Company
1500 Ronson Rd.
Iselin NJ 08830